Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Review: The Beekeeper's Apprentice

The Beekeeper's Apprentice The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I definitely enjoyed this. Mary Russell, a dauntless heroine, is likable despite her character flaws when matched up to Sherlock Holmes. It took her longer than I expected to decipher a message left by the antagonist, and I see that as a flaw that led up to the climax beautifully. I can't say much about the secrets revealed at the end, but I can admit that they shocked me. There were hints, ever-so-subtle hints, that caused the revelation to throw me completely off guard because they were so few and far in between.
And I loved her relationship with Holmes. Partners, yes, and maybe something more akin to family, albeit a strange one. At first I felt that the university chapters were annoying, but I liked the way King tied them into the overall mystery and how it added to the relationship of Russell and Holmes.
A suspenseful mystery with twists and turns abound and the ultimate, totally satisfying revelation that left me reeling.

All that said, I will not be continuing this series, at least not under Project Sherlock. There are way too many books in this series for that, and it wouldn't be fair. I want to see what other authors have done in tribute to Holmes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment