Sunday, January 24, 2016

Review: Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson

Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson by Lyndsay Faye
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well. The crime was the of the darkest nature I've ever seen Holmes take on. I don't think I'll be able to keep anything down for a while.
Joking aside, this was good, but it missed the mark of perfection, at least for me. I was not surprised when the Ripper's true identity was revealed and I was repulsed by the nature of the crimes. I feel that the narrative was trying too hard to be exactly Conan Doyle, and the only mark of uniqueness on that part was the brutality of the crimes. I was not surprised when Holmes disappeared *cough* Anthony Horowitz *cough*. I've seen that angle and was not surprised when it turned up. I liked Miss Monk, however, and I was glad to see Holmes and Watson treating her with respect and concern, something not likely to be seen in this time period.
Despite all of these flaws, the novel did keep me turning the pages and eagerly awaiting whatever came next, and for that I am awarding it three stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment