Shadows Over Baker Street by Michael Reaves
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Please note that my rating of this book is merely the rating I gave out most often to the stories presented and does not represent the rating for every story. Those ratings make up my updates.
This novel shouldn't work. Sherlock Holmes mixing with the horrific characters and creations by H.P. Lovecraft. It shouldn't work.... but it does. It proves that a masterful hand is really the secret weapon to the best tribute, a hand that has done research and shown a love for both works from which the new story is drawn. From a shocking Jack-the-Ripperesque tale to a story that takes you back to Watson's time as soldier this book has something for everyone.
I really can't give this book a critique because of its structure, but I encourage those who are skeptical to give it a try. You may end up finding a favorite.
And, on that note, here's a list of my personal favorites
1. "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman
2. "The Case of the Wavy Black Dagger" by Steve Perry
3. "A Case of Royal Blood" by Steven-Elliot Altman
4. "The Weeping Masks" by James Lowder
5. "The Adventure of the Antiquarian's Niece" by Barbara Hambly
View all my reviews