Monday, May 2, 2016

Project Watership Down

I'm so excited for my project. No, not Project Sherlock. As fun as that has been, I'm working on something completely different right now. Anyone who knows me knows that my favorite book of all time is Watership Down by Richard Adams. You know, the book that inspired that movie about rabbits at war? Great film, at least in my opinion. You know, the circumstances under which I read the book are quite interesting. Allow me to explain.
To start, let me say that freshman year of high school sucked so bad for me. As someone who doesn't adapt well to change, I spent 90% of the year worrying over the smallest things and I couldn't stop. I'd lost control of my life. One day in May, though, helped me calm my anxiety a little and learn to take a breath of fresh air. That was the day I began reading Watership Down. The romantic writing calmed my nerves enough so that I could enjoy something, a feeling I thought I'd lost with the development of anxiety. I didn't know it at the time, but I was slowly falling in love with what would become my favorite book of all time.
It is with this declaration of love that I bring to you some amazing news. I am currently in the process of creating my own audiobook version of Watership Down! Just yesterday, I posted in the Watership fan group I'm a part of that I would do this. I like to think of it as a love note to the book.
With that, I'll leave you with some quotes from my all-time favorite book.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

“Many human beings say that they enjoy the winter, but what they really enjoy is feeling proof against it.”

“My Chief Rabbit has told me to stay and defend this run, and until he says otherwise, I shall stay here."

“Like the pain of a bad wound, the effect of a deep shock takes some while to be felt. When a child is told, for the first time in his life, that a person he has known is dead, although he does not disbelieve it, he may well fail to comprehend it and later ask--perhaps more than once--where the dead person is and when he is coming back.”   
 
“We all have to meet our match sometime or other.”

“That wasn't why they destroyed the warren. It was just because we were in their way. They killed us to suit themselves.”  

(Source: www.goodreads.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment