Friday, August 26, 2016

Review: The Man in the High Castle

The Man in the High Castle The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I couldn't.... I just couldn't with this one.
Honestly, I was just so incredibly bored with it. The Nazis have effectively won WWII and the world is in the grips of tyrannical dictatorship.... or, at least, I thought it would be, but the world felt totally normal. I just didn't feel much oppression that this version of our world is supposedly feeling. Maybe if P.K. Dick had set this from a slave's point of view, or a hidden Jew, or shown a scenario involving how these people are poorly treated or in hiding... something.
And I honestly couldn't see how any person lived, Jew, Japanese, German... it all felt normal with little tension of oppression and with the jumping to different characters that were not fleshed out enough, I couldn't learn anything about them and therefore empathize with them. Having read Station Eleven, I know that it's possible to go back and forth from different POVs and flesh out the characters you zoom in on for the moment, so they have their time on the page and the reader cares about them.

After reading this, I'm disappointed in Philip K. Dick. He's written some great, thought-provoking stuff, but was unfortunately not on point here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment