Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Closing in....

Sherlock Holmes is one of the greatest literary characters of all time. With all of the Holmes adaptations being made and the reawakening of the Sherlockian/Holmesian fanbase in the 21st century, and with the BBC's own take on Holmes (Sherlock) under my belt, I began searching for other love letters to the great detective in literature. I set out at first to see what dimensions, what scenarios could other writers dare to put the detective in. Some attempts at honoring Conan Doyle's sleuth were well-researched, engaging, and original, while others were unfortunately boring, flat, even damaging to this dynamic character.
Throughout this project, there have been pastiches that were so bad that I considered giving up on the venture altogether. There have also been pastiches that made me want to jump up and scream "Yes!!!!!!!" upon completing them, that made me feel excited to continue. It is the ones that made me jump up that propelled me to push forward.
So why am I telling you all of this?
Well, after going through my shelf, I realized that I have read fourteen Holmes pastiches. I've never had a goal number of books for this project, but I think it's time to close this with one final book as I begin to compile a list that will show my ranking of all of the novels from the best pastiche being #1 and the worst being #15.
This list will probably take a long time to complete, since I will probably be revisiting some of the older books to see where they fit. I will update the project with one final review when I can and hopefully have the list done and posted in the coming months. After the final review, the project will be complete. Please be aware that if I read any other pastiches in the future, they will not be tagged under Project Sherlock, but they will be tagged under Sherlock Holmes.
Final review to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment