Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Fire


The night is calm, but my mind is a racing engine. It is raining fire all around me. You watch me from above, long to take me in your arms and protect me forever, yet the sky is your prison, and you can only watch as I begin this journey. Every step, every footprint feels like a burning coal beneath my boot. You cry out, and I long to look up to where you dwell and join you. But the fires are still lit in the night, the wind whipping them up to tremendous heights, brighter and extremely dangerous.
Yet somehow in my angst, somehow as you watch me from above, the fire speaks to me, tells me things I knew once but may never know again. You are holding your breath as the fire extends toward me and I long to back away from the heat.
But I can't. I look up at you one last time before this transforming rendezvous. I tell you I love you and touch the fire as you are released from the prison of the sky. You fall to the earth as the fire continues to dance in the night wind. It is an eternity that the fire spends dancing with me, but just as a single tear falls down your cheek in this realization, I walk forth from the flames. I am burned in many places, my hair is singed, my clothes black with burns. Yet I am alive.
I smile and rush into your arms and plant a hot kiss on your cold lips. A clock strikes eleven somewhere nearby.
I don't remember what happened in there; I don't know how I made it through alive. But I did.

I kiss you one final time in joy and love, and we are ever so gently lifted up into the night in the celebration of our reunion. Our loyalty, though scarred by fire and the memory of your prison cell, is impenetrable. And as we stand here together, the night wraps it in golden lace of the stars as the fire below slowly dies.




1 comment: