Thursday, July 20, 2017

Review: Hoot

Hoot Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is listed under Project: Yearning for YA. To learn more about this project, click here.

I've had a love/hate relationship with YA literature in recent years. Depending on the hand writing the story, YA can be good, great, just okay, bad, or absolutely atrocious. I read Hiaasen under Project: Yearning for YA and I'm no expert on the subject, but I think this little story was interesting. The writing wasn't terrible and the story kept me coming back to find out what would happen next. Like most YA novels that I've read, I was thinking the story would end up not telling me everything I wanted to know. Some YA novels have this crutch where they refuse to tell the main protagonist (and therefore the reader) anything specific about the world in which the book is set or certain situations the main character may get tangled up in. I was afraid the story would go that route, but I was pleasantly surprised when we were given answers (even if I didn't understand some of those answers upon first glance).
What Hiaasen has done here is woven a weird little story that did not seem all that big of a deal at the start. But sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to gain the reward the book offers. I found what this book wanted to say touching, deep, and beautiful in its own little way.
Sometimes, YA can be just as profound as the adult novels and classics it rivals.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment