Review: The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel

The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I keep reading the preface in Martin Freeman's voice now. Oh, God...
A novel that takes a beloved character and puts a different twist on him/her can be tricky territory. The readers scrutinize the character and make sure it stands up to its original source. That said, this novel did that perfectly. It had Holmes' methods of deduction perfectly mastered.
Holmes' methods aside, the story was fantastic. It kept me guessing to the very end and gasping aloud whenever Horowitz threw in another wonderful twist. As someone who read the original Holmes stories and didn't enjoy them as much as I'd liked to, this novel was perfect for me. But something made it falter, just a little.
The faltering comes in Holmes' arrest. While that part of the novel definitely engaged me and kept me guessing, I felt that it distracted from the original mystery. The solution to the mystery, then, had me wondering briefly, "How did Holmes arrive at that conclusion?" although the conclusion was very satisfying.
All in all, a fantastic tribute to Conan Doyle's celebrated sleuth that kept me guessing to the very end.


View all my reviews

Comments