Review: A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Two personas that have no idea of each other's existence reside in the same man. Oh, God....
Bob Arctor is both a user and seller of Substance Death.... Fred is a law enforcer who monitors Arctor's activities as part of his job. He watches Arctor's slow descent into addiction. The only issue? Fred and Arctor are the same person.
I will admit that, upon starting this one, I was not enthralled. I did not feel like I just had to finish it, but I didn't want to DNF it either. Something just drew me back to it, although I don't exactly know what that thing was. I've read a lot of P.K. Dick in the past and I honestly think this one of his best. The ending had a twist that threw me for a loop and the foreshadowing during that part was nicely done. And the novel finally had me enthralled.
This is one of Dick's that's not to miss... just be sure to bring a box of tissues....



View all my reviews

Comments