Review: Gravity Falls: Journal 3

Gravity Falls: Journal 3 Gravity Falls: Journal 3 by Alex Hirsch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I can't believe I actually picked this up and read it cover-to-cover.

I was expecting to enjoy it, but I didn't expect there to be a solid, coherent, dark, beautifully-written story within these pages. I expected more of a how-to guide to this dramatic, surprisingly dark Disney show. Wow! The more I peruse those pages, the more I realize just how carefully thought-out the show was. It was a joy to read the Author's backstory up to realizing that his "muse" wasn't what he thought him to be. The paranoia and fear is spilled onto the pages to the point where I felt parallels to Frankenstein and that's really amazing.
I will admit, however, that I felt the first half of the book to be better than the second half. The second half really fills itself in once you've watched the series and it was a little underwhelming. I guess I should read the first half, watch the entire series, and then finish it.
And just another thing I loved: this book is dark. Really dark.
It brought me back to how deep this show's story really was. And I love how neither show nor book shy away from this.
I highly recommend this book for any fan of the show.

(Sorry about the crappy quality of the second photo. It was showing up as an error sign before, so I had to take it down and then re upload it, and it came out like this.)



View all my reviews

Comments