Review: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Oh, if only I had been able to fly through this one in time to finish off the 2016 reading challenge.... You just can't win them all, can you?
I hate to say this, but I really prefer Arthur Conan Doyle novels to the short stories. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the stories in this book, it's just that I felt like most of them were weighed down by clients' stories of whatever their problems were. I felt like, as a result, the mysteries were cleared up so quickly that I missed the solutions to some of them! It was good, overall, but it wasn't as good as The Hound of the Baskervilles or The Valley of Fear, simply because I did not feel as immersed in the shorter stories as I did all four novels.
I want to point out that this has nothing to do with Conan Doyle as a writer, however. I've read all of his Holmes novels and The Lost World and those were all exceptional works of genius. I have no doubt that Conan Doyle is brilliant. Short stories have just never been my cup of tea, personally.





View all my reviews

Comments