My Review of Journal 3 Special Edition

"Against all odds,"

"I'm Back...."

So it took me some time, but I can finally say that I received my copy of the Gravity Falls Journal 3 Special Edition and read it in full. And all I can say is, "Wow!"

It was so much fun to read, even more fun than the regular edition. The same beautiful story is there, of course, but the additions that were put in made this book even more special than the first edition. Like I've heard many people say, the special edition is really a much higher quality product. I won't go into the story (as I already covered that in my Journal 3 Review), but I will say that I loved how the blacklight messages added a spookier, more melancholy tone to the story than we saw previously. I just felt more of a sense of darkness to the story, especially with how the Author was the only person to use the invisible ink, adding to the paranoia and fear he showcases through the pages. 
And I just have to say that the blacklight illustrations are gorgeous. They really added this invisible beauty to the overall book that was just amazing to see. 
And I loved the edition number idea. Since there were only 10,000 copies of this book available, it was kind of fun to see what number you got out of the overall batch of books. I personally don't care about the number itself, but I think putting the numbers on the books really helped to showcase how special each copy was. 
I really adored how each book came with a letter signed by the creator of Gravity Falls and how the photos in the book were removable. I think it really helped to foster in me, and perhaps others, a sense that being a nerd is okay. I like that message, that it's nothing to be ashamed of and knowing the edition numbers and seeing the creator's signature reminded me that I'm not the only one who enjoys this show. 
Children's show or not, I honestly couldn't care less. It was a fantastic show that more than deserved to receive all the attention it did. The Journal, to me, was a wonderful way to remind people of one of the show's main messages: that it's okay to be who you are, it's okay to be a nerd about things and geek out over whatever you feel is worth geeking out over. That's what makes it so special. 

Oh, and before I forget, I did take some blacklight photos. Let me apologize in advance for the poor quality of some of them (I'm not very good at taking photos to begin with, but being in the dark made it even harder), but I wanted to take some of my own instead of stealing someone else's. 


                       
                   The package the Journal came in. Mine was #21




                                        The cover of the Journal moments after opening it. I can't even begin to explain how I felt!


                                           
                                         
             One of my favorite illustrations. This photo doesn't even do it justice - it is so pretty!
                                               



                                                   
                  I just like how badass this illustration is. Brings me right back to that exact moment in Not What He Seems. 



                                   
                  Probably the best photo I took. As horrible as the situation the illustration depicts is, there's a beauty to this illustration that I was somehow able to capture. 


                             
                      
                     Heard about this one - honestly thought it was a joke until I saw it for myself. I think it was perfect, given that it's one of the last things seen on the show, so it's the last thing seen in the Journal. 



 
                                 
                        The best thing in this image is the winding staircase. I just wish the tree had invisible ink so it would have shown up on camera. 




                                          
                      I just like that the skeleton of the Author's hand glows like that. It looks really cool. 


                            

                         The Author's hand under the "Property Of" piece. I didn't want to remove the entire thing, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back on right. The "SIXER" underneath the hand is my favorite part of the illustration. 


So, that's my review of Journal 3 Special Edition. And, as pricey as it was, it was so worth buying. It's something that I think I'll treasure for a very long time, just as I will the show that started it all: Gravity Falls 




Comments