Review: The Crossover

The Crossover The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So.... I will admit that I have a love/hate relationship with this book.
I've never been into sports, mainly because most of them I'm not able to play, and I never got into watching them or reading about them. I just couldn't relate.
That said, this book had a message to convey that was so much more important than just the joy of playing basketball. Life, the main character Josh learns, doesn't come with a playbook and sometimes things change suddenly, they come out of left field (pun totally intended here).
I saw the climax of the book coming a mile away, and I just remember thinking, "Okay, when is (view spoiler) going to die, already?"
I know this sounds insensitive of me, but the truth is is that because of the verse narrative, I found it difficult to really form any attachment to any of the characters. Unfortunately, I wasn't fazed by what happened to the others. The only character I really felt much sympathy for was Josh, mainly because he lamented about how things were changing and he felt miles away from his own family. He's human, and he's made mistakes out of fear of things changing, something every adolescent can relate to.
Because of the way the book was written, things just moved too damn quickly, and while it meant that the story was a relatively quick read, there wasn't that much emotional payoff.
That being said, what little emotional payoff there was was very well done. It was fulfilling to see Josh ultimately reconnect with everyone after everything the family went through. The book's final scene was touching, moving, and left things on a hopeful note.
No matter how bad things get, there is always hope, and I enjoyed seeing that message.
Despite the book not being entirely to my taste, it conveys a very great message, so I'm awarding it 2.5 stars, rounded up to three.

View all my reviews

Comments