Review: Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska Looking for Alaska by John Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I woke up sick, so I apologize if this review is a little disorganized....

Well, this book was not what I expected. I expected a romance story with both Alaska and the main character Pudge. The first half of the story was long and, quite frankly, not holding my interest. I did wonder what the "Before" and "After" stuff was about, and it was handled nicely. In the back of my mind, I knew what was going to happen, but I was still shocked when (view spoiler) but, after all she'd been through, I didn't blame her. I liked the Colonel, he was a pleasant surprise - I honestly expected him to be the stereotypical bully!
And, also to my surprise, the novel raised important points about Alaska's actions and what drove them. That was nice to see, but it bothered me at the time, because I know what it's like to lose someone and it was reminding me of the person I lost.
I didn't love the way the book was written. Like I fear with most YA novels, the writing felt somewhat dry, although, as I said, it did pick up in the second half.
Although it wasn't perfect, it was honestly better than I expected.... you just have to be patient with it.

View all my reviews

Comments